Downtown is planning an art-filled April! Here’s what should be on your calendar-
- Saturday, April 1– Texas Avenue Makers Fair with 200 + MAKERS, Sci Port’s Feather Fest, Mini Makers Activities, 3 stages of entertainment, food trucks and more. Entertainment provided by the Black Cultural Arts Coalition and Spinner Entertainment. The fun begins at 10 am along Elvis Presley Boulevard @ the Municipal Auditorium and ends at 5 pm. There is no admission charge to the Makers Fair and entertainment.
- Saturday, April 1– the unveiling of the 12 Uncommon Murals around the Shreveport Common art and culture district downtown. Take a trolley tour to see them all!
- Throughout the Month– The Shreveport Regional Arts Council (SRAC) has awarded seven Northwest Louisiana artists the opportunity to create their own studio space in artspace (710 Texas St.) during April. They will use the space to create, work, demonstrate and sell their art to the public. Drop by to see the works and meet Lisandra T. Di Liberto Brown, Eric Francis, Sarah Joy Lewis, James Marks, Sherry Tamburo, Robert Trudeau and Kathryn Usher.
- Tuesday, April 4 @ 6 pm @ Central ARTSTATION, 801 Crockett St.- Critical Mass Performing Arts Showcase.
- Wednesday, April 5, 5-8 pm. DOWNTOWN ART WALK. This month the artwalk will be featuring large works at Minicine? (846 Texas Ave.), Central ARTSTATION (801 Crockett), the Fairmont lobby (726 Cotton. Enter on the Common St. side), the Korner Lounge (800 Louisiana). The Shreveport chapter of the AIA (American Institute of Architects) will be hosting a Sketch the City event on the sidewalk outside the Fairmont. Bring your own sketch pads and pencils or use ours and draw two grand old gals; the Scottish Rite Temple and B’Nai Zion. The artwalk is free and open to all ages (except Korner Lounge, which is 21 and up). Food trucks will be along the route.
- Wednesday, April 5– Critics Conversation @ Central ARTSTATION (801 Crockett). 5-8 pm, free.
- Thursday, April 6, 5:30-9pm @ Artspace, 710 Texas St. Critical Mass 5 Exhibition and winners announced, openings of the Artspace Artists’ Studios.
- Saturday, April 8, 10 am- 6 pm. Studio Tours of collectible artists. Stops include:
Norsworthy Gallery- 214 Texas St. -Christine Bailey and Mike Torma
artspace-708 Texas St. – Lisandra Brown, Yasuko Makishi, James Marks, Tony Reans, Kathryn Usher
artipsy @ Red River District- Jeff Babineaux and Katie Bickham
The Agora Borealis- 417 Lake Street- Brett Malone & Taffie Garsee
601 Spring Street- 601 Spring (Saturday only) Debra Bradley and Linda Dickson.
- Sunday, April 9 11 am- 3 pm Studio tours of collectible artists. Stops include: Norsworthy Gallery- 214 Texas St. -Christine Bailey and Mike Tormaartspace-708 Texas St. – Lisandra Brown, Yasuko Makishi, James Marks, Tony Reans, Kathryn UsherArtipsy @ Red River District- Jeff Babineaux and Katie Bickham
The Agora Borealis- 417 Lake Street- Brett Malone & Taffie Garsee, Debra Bradley and Linda Dickson.
Sunday, April 9, 6 pm @ artspace, 710 Texas St. Announcement of pairings of collectors and artists.
- Thursday, April 13-5:30- 8:30 pm. Positive Awareness Exhibition Opening at artspace (710 Texas St.) Free.
- April 13, April 20, April 27, 5:30- 7:30 pm. Artspace artist exhibitions.
- Saturday, April 22, 11 am- 4 pm. Calling all Guitars- Art of the Guitar Call @ Central ARTSTATION.
- April 28-30 @ Shreveport Convention Center. ARTBREAK, the South’s largest children’s arts festival.
- All Month (and beyond)! See the UNCOMMON Murals on the sides of buildings in Shreveport Common. Twelve in all, ranging from colorful mandalas to love in many splendid forms.