First Ever Pop UP Businesses Announced
April 29, 2014 – The businesses chosen for the May 12-23 Pop UP Project in Downtown Shreveport’s Red River District range from home décor and clothing to Louisiana products, fine art and photography to artisan cheese, jewelry and 3D printing!
“We had more than 30 proposals submitted. It was a difficult decision to make,” admits Liz Swaine, Executive Director of the Downtown Development Authority/Downtown Shreveport Development Corporation.
“We’re using Cohab’s CookHOUSE commercial kitchen during the event which means downtown’s 17,000 employees will have several different food options during the Pop UP. During this ten day period, we encourage downtown workers to leave their brown bags at home and be ready to do some shopping!” says Swaine.
The list of businesses and food options includes:
- SPACE: Interiors — An Interior Decorator & home décor business. Décor items, furniture, rugs topped off with design & staging advice
- Wired & Sassy LLC — One-of-kind metal clay jewelry, ranging from earrings to bracelets and more. Make your own jewelry at group jewelry-making parties.
- Haute Goat Creamery — Delicious goat cheese and artisan blends from the piney woods of East Texas. All items manufactured in a licensed cheese facility.
- My Pastry Chef — Specialty cakes made to order, donuts, cupcakes, cookies available daily.
- Ark-La-Tex 3D Technology — See 3-dimensional customizable items created while you watch. Learn the options available by this brave new world of printing.
- Photographix — A dynamic collaboration on an art gallery/photography studio/retail shop/marketing agency, all in one storefront.
- Café Camellia — Beignets, locally-roasted Camellia Coffee, Louisiana lunch specialties featuring red beans and rice, jambalaya and more.
- Three Sisters Gallery — Unique and custom artwork & home décor inspired by all things Louisiana. Popular custom abstract home portraits.
- Sherry’s Diner — Already a popular Shreveport eating establishment, Sherry will bring her Southern comfort and soul food to the Red River District, along with award-winning Banana Pudding known around the world.
- Ambit Supply Co — This trendy clothing line is as much about encouragement and inspiration as great t-shirts, tanks, hats and other fun items. Slogans on each piece are meant to encourage people to always exceed limits and boundaries.
- Sarah Joy Lewis Fine Art — Portrait artistry using sheer tinted acrylics for commission. Custom paintings for sale.
- The Green House Food Truck — It’s not a truck, but it is green… as in healthy alternatives! The healthy (but not meatless) restaurant concept will be tried out several times during the two week run of the Pop UP Project!
The Pop UP soft launch party will be held Thursday, May 8 from 5-7 pm and is open to the public. The dates of the actual Pop UP are May 12-23.
Expect the unexpected during the Pop UP — the two weeks will feature a number of ‘theme’ days, special events, live music, shopping specials, and the popular downtown Hidden History Tour on Saturday, May 17.
For more about the Pop UP Project and the selected businesses, visit www.downtownshreveport.com or call 318-222-7403.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Downtown Development Authority
Downtown Shreveport Development Corporation