Calling all creative and imaginative people! We need a name! Some fun, memorable (in a good way) and maybe even looks at the building’s past uses. Read more and give us your best idea.
In 2017, the new owners of this beautiful historic downtown building intend to open it to the public. Over the next 12 months, it is going to be converted into beautiful market rate apartments with terrific amenities including a rooftop dog park, indoor storage for bikes and fun retail spaces on the ground floor. But what to call it?
The building is one of downtown’s jewels. As the former Commercial National Bank, it has hosted hundreds of professional tenants beginning in 1910. It was designed by the architectural firm of Mann and Stern of Little Rock, Arkansas, and when built, was the tallest building in Shreveport by four stories. Here are a few of the tenants in 1917, courtesy the City Directory. WB McCormick and SS Hunter were ‘capitalists’. It was also the home to Louisiana and Arkansas Railroad, Eureka Drilling Company, Slattery & Slattery- attorneys, E.F. Neild -architect, and a Dr. Slicer (we are not making that up).
The only major alterations were in the 1970s, when the then-United Mercantile Bank changed the look of the ground floor. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.