The one thing that is certain when purchasing a building downtown is that there will be at least one back story. In the case of most of our historic inventory, you can multiply that by infinity and beyond. Take the case of the properties at the corner of Crockett Street and Marshall. The buildings that jointly would have had the addresses 423, 425, 427, 427 1/2, & 429 Crockett come with a lot of history—some which is still on view. Though the ground floor of the two-story has been rehabbed over the years, the top floor still retains a more original layout. In 1918, this would be where you would have come to rent a furnished room from Mrs. C.W. Linxwiler. By 1922, the rooms were made available for men only, by 1923, both men and couples could rent, but not single women. The space stayed a boarding house until becoming the Avalon Hotel in 1935, then the LaSalle Hotel, and in 1950- the Order of Otters. Hands down, this would be our favorite use because we love the name. The Order of Otters was a Fraternal Organization that got its start in Shreveport in 1934. It was a civic & fraternal society that was apparently part of a national organization. The meeting place was known as the ‘otter burrow.’ Of course it was. We love that grown men would have told their wives not to wait up because they were going to the ‘burrow.’
The most unusual of all the tenants was architect Louis E. Moossy, whose office door still stands at the top of the stairs. In 1964, Moossy was voted the head of the American Institute of Architects Shreveport Chapter. A prestigious assignment,
Moossy followed in the footsteps of such luminaries as Samuel Wiener, Clarence King, Luther Haas, Edward Neild, and Dewey Somdal. In fact, Moossy worked for the organization Somdal created, Somdal and Associates. Though his architectural career was likely long and varied, two things about Moossy stand out. One was his precedent-setting lawsuit Moossy v. Huckabay Hospital, Inc., (1973) under which the court ruled that an architect employed to prepare plans and specifications for a building on which there are no cost limitations agreed upon can recover compensation for his services irrespective of the costs of construction. This particular ruling has been referred to dozens of times over the years in various court cases.
Hands down the strangest part of the story of Mr. Moossy’s life had to do with his death. After his sudden demise in 1998, Moossy’s daughter Deborah placed his remains in the family car with the intentions (we hope) of eventually taking him on a fine final drive. However, that Broadmoor garage is where Mr. Moossy’s earthly remains stayed for the next eight years. Family member were suspicious that there was no gravesite to visit, but daughter Deborah stayed mum, even after being sentenced to prison for attacking a neighbor who left a bag of dog food on her porch. Mr. Moossy’s remains were finally discovered when the family home and car were sold and the cremation box fell out of the car on the way to the scrapyard.
While nothing much can top that story, other tenants of the ground floor and adjacent one-story building include grocery stores, meat markets, the Russian Village Bar (1940-44), office supplies, bookkeeping services, blueprint & cigar sales, and the famous Glass Hat Restaurant. The Glass Hat is most known for its location on Texas Street, where it moved in 1939. For a time from 1957-59 it was Ridgway’s Blueprints. Ridgway’s, as you may recall, ended up down the street at 719 Marshall, in a building that was converted into the Ridgeway Square condos.
The good news is that these buildings steeped in history are now for sale. Interested in seeing the buildings for yourself? Here’s the scoop.
Asking Price: $395,000
427 & 429 Crockett in downtown Shreveport are for Sale. The two story can be renovated using Historic Tax Credits; both buildings are in a Federal Opportunity Zone. The buildings together are 13,600 sq. ft. and are situated on the corner of Marshall and Crockett Street. 427 is a former downtown grocery , and 429 housed the former Pay Day Financing operation on the 1st floor. 2nd floor is a vintage historic office type building with original floors, windows, etc. within the line of site of 621 Edwards St. which is also for sale by same ownership. Both can be sold as a package deal along with 9035 Jewella Ave.
- Total Sq. Ft. – 13,600 sq. ft.
- Total Available Sq. Ft. – 13,600 sq. ft.
Stephen Hamm ( email ) • Berkshire Hathaway HS Ally Real Estate