See beauty and good through the eyes of Ross Lynn, cheer on your favorite school in a spirited competition, combine a Cochon de lait with colorful lights on the Shreveport riverfront, but whatever you do, don’t try to stay still as the divas go to war on the catwalk at the Strand. In the meantime, get ready for romance on a special date night as you ponder taking up pottery in our #CoolDowntown.
- You may have heard of the Ross Lynn Charitable Foundation; now, see some of the beauty captured in photographs by the foundation’s namesake. A Distant Beauty book release will feature the words and photographs of Ross Lynn, live music by Andrew Powers, light hors d’oeuvres by Blake Jackson, and artwork from Andress Center artists. If the themes of cultivating compassion, nurturing the creative spirit, and living for the greater good speak to you, this book will, too. When: Fri., Aug. 5, 5:30-7:30 pm. Where: Andress Artist and Entrepreneur Center, 717 Crockett Street. Cost: Free. Info: FB/AAEC
- Hard to believe, but school is IN (or close to it)! The Grove wants you to have a little fun on your return to the classroom with Back to School Spirit Night. Come in your school colors and sign up to win Most School Spirit. All primary & secondary schools and colleges are welcome! When: Fri., Aug. 5, 4-8 pm. Where: 107 Spring Street (across from the Convention Center garage). Cost: Free entry. Info: FB/the grove
- Enjoy Dinner with a View at the Shreveport Aquarium Friday night. The colorful LED Bakowski Bridge of Lights will dance to GloFest as you enjoy a meal by Chef Jon Ortiz and East Side Fire. Enjoy a DJ, themed cocktails, and all the excitement of a night of art-inspired lights and action along the Shreveport riverfront. When: Fri., Aug. 5, 6:30- until. Where: RiverView Plaza (behind the aquarium). Cost: $65. Info: www.shreveportaquariumevents.com
- It’s a War on the Catwalk at the grand Strand this weekend! Divas will rule as the world’s most recognized drag queens take the stage for a night of singing, dancing and over the top performances. It will be a night you will remember. When: Saturday, Aug. 6, 8 pm. Where: Strand Theatre, 619 Louisiana Ave. Cost: $40 and up. Info: thestrandtheatre.com
- Enjoy a delicious dinner and a movie on Date Night at Robinson Film Center and remember why Patrick Swayze was never better than when he was a ghost. The film combines a love story with a murderous betrayal and the supernatural, and along the way, it made pottery a famously sexy past time. When: Tues., Aug. 9, 6 pm. Where: Robinson Film Center, 617 Texas St. Cost: $22/$29, meal included. Info: robinsonfilmcenter.org