Description from the National Register of Historic Places-The Caddo Parish Confederate Monument is of statewide significance under Criterion A as one of four major Louisiana monuments representing what is known by historians as “the Cult of the Lost Cause.” More specifically, these monuments are Louisiana’s most important representations of the Memorial Period, or second phase (1883 to 1907), of the Civil War Commemorative Sculpture Movement. These monuments represent a significant physical reminder of the period: reflecting the introduction and presence of Civil War monument construction in Louisiana and the role women played in the memorial period. This is an example of Art as History. The Cult of the Lost Cause continued to dominate Southern cultural history in the early twentieth century, and is still alive and well today.
The Confederate Memorial will soon be moving to a new home near the site where the Battle of Mansfield was fought in 1864. The United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapter 237 are the statute’s owners and told local media outlets recently they are delighted with the agreement reached with Caddo Parish that recognizes their ownership of the structure. They go on to say “… it will be going to a place of honor and along side graves of Confederate heroes to fulfill its purpose as a tombstone for soldiers from Caddo Parish who died on distant battlefields.”
The Caddo Parish Commission has voted to pay for the move and will solicit bids for the process. There is no set timeline for removal. In July the Caddo Commission approved building a box around the memorial until it could be relocated.