The ML Bath buildings in the 600 block of Texas Street have been a part of the downtown landscape for nearly 100 years; the business has been around even longer.

A hand colored photo of the grand opening of the building at 610 Market St. in November 1922.

The patriarch of the ML Bath business, Michaelis “Mike’ Lewis Bath.

M.L. -Michaelis Lewis or ‘Mike’- Bath started his office supplies and furnishings store in 1905 and by 1921, the company was in their present building on Market Street. A Mason, member of both the B’Nai Zion and Agudath Achim Jewish congregations, Rotarian and war-time member of the American Red Cross, Lewis was regarded as a strong proponent in the growth of Shreveport. He died unexpectedly in 1945 but the business named after him continued to thrive.

An ML Bath office scene, 1920s.

Market Street scene, 1950s. ML Bath is between the Continental American Bank and Peterson Chrysler Plymouth.

The buildings that make up ML Bath total more than 43,000 square feet on one of downtown’s most traveled roads. There are two buildings- a 4-story and a 2-story that was built in 1932, both with basements.

 

The building sits in Downtown’s CBD subdistrict in the Unified Development Code, and could be rehabbed for a number of different uses including art galleries and studios, above the ground floor dwellings, hotel, offices, retail stores and more. The buildings are currently listed for $690,000. More coming soon…